ACADEMIC QUALITY ASSURANCE DIRECTORATE
The Directorate of the Academic Quality Assurance at Kigali Health Institute has been established in April 2008 and has been operating with two staff: the Director and the Academic Quality officer. Therefore, the responsibilities to be undertaken within the office include the following:
- Manage and oversee formulation and implementation of policies, practices, and procedures at the Institute.
- Coordinate of internal and external Quality Assurance and Enhancement (QAE) activities
- Advise the Institute on all matters and/or activities related to QAE in higher education.
- Attend program validation and review events and ensure that all programs are validated before first presentation and are reviewed on a regular basis
- Advise the various academic and administrative components of the Institute on the Institute policies and procedures as necessary.
- Devise a program of workshops for staff development in relation to QAE
- Keep KHI up to date on current trends, events, and activities in Higher Education related to quality assurance and enhancement.
- Prepare Annual Report summarizing external examiner comments for consideration by the Institute Quality Assurance Committee
- Prepare Annual Report summarizing the quality enhancement recommendations from the Faculty Reports for consideration by the Institute Quality Assurance committee
From the above, it may be seen that the main responsibility of the office is monitoring and evaluating academic standards. It has to form the basis of providing monitoring and evaluation tools. Such tools have to be designed from issues related to: clarity of the plan with respect to achieving the vision; mission and mandates of the institute, its dynamism, feasibility, ownership by all staff and team spirit.
In line with the National Council for Higher Education sets of standards for quality assurance, Directorate of the Academic Quality Assurance has developed, published and implemented various guidelines institutional wide. The office has been fully involved in carrying out the institutional self assessment as to ascertain the educational environment and way forward for its improvement. It is with this regards the Directorate of the Academic Quality Assurance continue to work towards sustaining the quality of Institute products and services with a view of promoting the institute’s core business of teaching-learning, training, research, innovation and community service.
For any further information, Contact:
Director of Academic Quality Assurance
Tel: +250 551105189
Or the Academic Quality officer
Tel: +250 551105189