THE PANAFRICAN CONGRESS OF RADIOLOGY AND IMAGING 23-26th April 2013
Hosting city: Kigali
Introduction & Background
African relations continue to grow in economic, political and cultural areas. However, scholarly and professional relations amongst African radiation and imaging professionals and scientists are still weak and lag behind political, economic and cultural developments. Therefore, it is important to strengthen these intellectual, professional and academic exchanges in order to deepen and establish an interactive network among African radiation and imaging professionals as well as to rationalize with other fields.
Africa is the most disadvantaged continent and has become home of many ailments. During the most part of twentieth century, the Africans fell apart and chose discrepant paths in terms of international alignments, economic relations and professional relations. As a consequence, a major gap emerged between Africans in all fields despite the similarities in the professional, economic and political tenets. Therefore, it became a necessity for the professionals of radiology and imaging sciences in the African continent to develop a greater level of understanding and cooperation among themselves and to share their common knowledge and experience from their respective fields.
PACORI is a congress of individuals, professionals and societies in Africa engaged in imaging. These include radiologists, medical imaging technologists/radiographers, sonographers, radiotherapists, physicists, nuclear medicine physicians and biomedical engineers.
The congress meets biannually.
The venue rotates from one African country to another. So far, the congresses have been held in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda in 2007, and Nigeria in 2009 and most recently in September 2011 in Lusaka-Zambia.
PACORI is the largest scientific gathering of Radiology and Medical Imaging Professionals from across Africa.
It is also the sole continental health professional congress with a mission of promoting quality and accessible imaging services in Africa.
· Uplifting high standards of radiological and imaging practices in the continent.
· Promoting research in radiology and imaging, improving knowledge in the techniques and patient care approaches in the advancement of radiology and medical imaging as a profession taking into consideration the unique conditions in Africa.
· Ensuring dissemination and sharing of medical knowledge and experiences in Radiological sciences amongst technologists, radiologists and other health professionals.
· Providing a forum for discussing topical issues with a view of enhancing the strategy for regional and continental integration in Africa as a prerequisite for meaningful economic and social development with imaging professionals and services sharply in focus.
· Providing a forum for discussing policy issues that affect radiological services and healthcare delivery in the continent of Africa and disseminate decisions and consensus reached on such issues to national governments, regional economic and political blocks (eg. AU, EAC, etc) and related international bodies for funding and development purposes.
· Acting as a catalyst for participants to come up with prudent programmes and pragmatic policies in continuous professional development and harmonization of standards in education & training /and delivery of radiological and imaging services.
· Promote the discipline of radiology and imaging by supporting research, publications, organizing congresses, seminars, workshops, exhibitions or any other means through which the above purpose are enhanced.
· Representing African radiological and imaging interest and crucial issues and decisions to public, national and international authorities.
During the 7th PACORI conference delegates from around the world will be meeting and important issues will be discussed including emerging programmes in radiology and medical imaging across the continent.
It is therefore a unique opportunity for the country to market our country at the global arena in general and in particular in Africa.
This important scientific gathering will act as meeting point for local and international radiology and medical imaging professionals thereby providing a forum for own home-grown professional development paths without fear and intimidation, and as a social and networking forum
Well-known professors and imaging professionals will present a range of topics of particular interest to Africa and especially on evidence-based radiological modalities in non-communicable diseases.
THE MAIN THEME:
“Evidence-based imaging for quality health care in non-communicable diseases”.
- Renal diseases
- Cardiovascular and metabolic diseases
- Injuries & disabilities
- Research & Non communicable diseases
- Role of Teleradiology
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
- Mr. MUIGA M. Patrick
Head of Department
- Mr. NDAHIRIWE J. Baptiste
- Mr. MOCHACHE Didakus
- Mme MUKANGENDO Mechtide
- Ms KAYITESI Isabelle
Communication & publicity:
- Mr. ONDARI Ouko Benard
- Mr. BANA Remy Wilson
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE/ ADVISORS:
- Dr KISEMBO Harriet (PACORI Secretary),Uganda
- Dr MUYINDA Zeridah, Uganda
- Dr VYNAK Droga (President ASR), Kenya
- Prof KAWOOYA Michael, Uganda.
- Professor Hassen Gharbi,Tunisia
- Dr Harald Lutz, Germany
- Dr Theodore, United States Of America, WASHINGTON
- Prof Spencer Gay, United States Of America, VIRGINIA
LAYOUT OF THE WEB INFO
- Welcome note from the Chairperson (Message & pictures)
- Registration process & Online Registration form
- Call for presentations
- Important dates:
§ Submission open: June 2012
§ Submission deadline: January 2013
§ Notification to authors/presenters: February 2013
1. Dr Theodore
2. Prof Spencer Gay
- Creation of PACORI email for the conference.
- Programme guide
- Social events
- Keynote event
- Poster session
- Hotel reservations & Travel agencies: contacts
- Kigali attractions & sighting/ touring:
§ Virunga National Park
§ Akagera National park
§ Nyungwe National Park
§ Kigali Genocide Memorial
§ Ntarama Genocide Memorial
§ National Museum-Butare
§ Lemigo Hotel
§ Hotel des Mille Collines
§ Kigali Serena Hotel
§ Umubano Hotel
PACORI 2012 potential Sponsors & Exhibition information:
- Philips (Dash-Technologies)
- Pulse System
- Philips Pharmaceuticals
- TATA (Contrast media section)
- Crown technologies Ltd
- EQUITY BANK
- KCB BANK